Attention all members!
Have a cool ride? Then show it off on our website! All vehicles welcome!
Have a cool ride? Then show it off on our website! All vehicles welcome!
Home Drivers in a Car
-
solacedagony
- Master of My Domain
- Posts: 2171
- Joined: Mon Nov 29, 2004 9:34 am
- Location: Phillipsburg, NJ
- Contact:
Home Drivers in a Car
Would home audio drivers not stand up to in-car abuse? Because from what I've read on this forum and other ones, home audio drivers are of higher quality and are MUCH cheaper. So are they not used in cars due to the high amount of abuse speakers take in a car or other reasons?
Thanks guys.
Thanks guys.
-
Robert Wollenberg
- Posts: 1386
- Joined: Mon Sep 19, 2005 4:45 am
- Location: Abilene, Texas
From what I've gathered, the biggest reason home audio drivers are not used in a car is mostly because they don't come in sets. You can't get home drivers in a coaxial set up and they don't come with passive crossovers. Also, you have to make sure they're made from materials that will withstand the humidity and dampness than can go along with being in a car vs. house. Otherwise, go for it. Right now, my midranges for my Jeep are house speakers. Once I sell my car and buy a new one, that whole system may very well be house drivers.
The only other obsticle is impedence. A lot of house drivers are 8 ohm. Now a days they are making many in a 4 ohm version.
I like the house drivers. They're less expensive and seem to be of higher quality. I'm getting into the active crossover systems so using raw drivers works out fine for me. However, if your system design uses passive crossovers, it might be easier to get a standard component set instead.
The only other obsticle is impedence. A lot of house drivers are 8 ohm. Now a days they are making many in a 4 ohm version.
I like the house drivers. They're less expensive and seem to be of higher quality. I'm getting into the active crossover systems so using raw drivers works out fine for me. However, if your system design uses passive crossovers, it might be easier to get a standard component set instead.
Robert R. Wollenberg
Audio Alchemy, Owner
Phone: (325) 480-2790
E-mail: [email protected]
Web: www.audiochemy.com
www.abilenecaraudio.com
www.abilenecaralarms.com
FB: www.facebook.com/audio.alchemy
Audio Alchemy, Owner
Phone: (325) 480-2790
E-mail: [email protected]
Web: www.audiochemy.com
www.abilenecaraudio.com
www.abilenecaralarms.com
FB: www.facebook.com/audio.alchemy
-
solacedagony
- Master of My Domain
- Posts: 2171
- Joined: Mon Nov 29, 2004 9:34 am
- Location: Phillipsburg, NJ
- Contact:
-
solacedagony
- Master of My Domain
- Posts: 2171
- Joined: Mon Nov 29, 2004 9:34 am
- Location: Phillipsburg, NJ
- Contact:
stay away from tissue paper
sorry...too early in the morning
I have a pair of McIntosh 5.25's with treated pressed paper that I used for some experimental kickpanel enclosures...they worked fine.
sorry...too early in the morning
I have a pair of McIntosh 5.25's with treated pressed paper that I used for some experimental kickpanel enclosures...they worked fine.
IASCA Certified SQ Judge
USACi Certified SQ Judge
MECA Certified SQ Judge
2010 USACi Spring Break Jam Modified SQ Champion
Moderator for https://www.facebook.com/groups/524841581331183/
CVD Audio Sales and Acquisitions Team
http://www.cvdaudio.com
USACi Certified SQ Judge
MECA Certified SQ Judge
2010 USACi Spring Break Jam Modified SQ Champion
Moderator for https://www.facebook.com/groups/524841581331183/
CVD Audio Sales and Acquisitions Team
http://www.cvdaudio.com
-
Robert Wollenberg
- Posts: 1386
- Joined: Mon Sep 19, 2005 4:45 am
- Location: Abilene, Texas
I think you just need to make sure the paper is treated in some way. To help combat moisture. I remember someone telling me that a while back when I asked a very similar quesion.
Robert R. Wollenberg
Audio Alchemy, Owner
Phone: (325) 480-2790
E-mail: [email protected]
Web: www.audiochemy.com
www.abilenecaraudio.com
www.abilenecaralarms.com
FB: www.facebook.com/audio.alchemy
Audio Alchemy, Owner
Phone: (325) 480-2790
E-mail: [email protected]
Web: www.audiochemy.com
www.abilenecaraudio.com
www.abilenecaralarms.com
FB: www.facebook.com/audio.alchemy
-
solacedagony
- Master of My Domain
- Posts: 2171
- Joined: Mon Nov 29, 2004 9:34 am
- Location: Phillipsburg, NJ
- Contact:
-
kevinberry1
- Senior Member
- Posts: 638
- Joined: Fri Feb 18, 2005 7:21 pm
- Location: Omaha, NE
