Attention all members!
Have a cool ride? Then show it off on our website! All vehicles welcome!

My Bass just doesnt sound good?

Post all your general car audio questions here.
audiobass10
Master of My Domain
Posts: 1076
Joined: Thu Oct 07, 2004 8:00 am
Location: Cape Coral, Florida

Post by audiobass10 »

If I were you i'd go ported. I have experience with the SE's and they really shine in a ported box. Sound great as well. I'd say 3 cubes @ 32-36hz and you'll be in love.
Bwcad1
Master of My Domain
Posts: 9312
Joined: Wed Aug 03, 2005 11:00 am
Location: Ohio

Post by Bwcad1 »

Ryan from Ohio wrote:Hmmm
Well I will punch it in winisd tomorrow and see what it shows given the box size you have now.
(ALERT QUESTIONING YOU HERE PLEASE DONT FLIP YOUR WIG AND MURDER/BAN ME)

Can you explain to me how winisd could begin to solve the problem? I guess i really never though about using that as a trouble shooting tool. I guess you could look at the freq graph but there are so many other simple variables to check first seems like extra work that's uneeded at this point. Especially since the filters on the radio amp the inside of the car is going to change that graph drastically anyways it seems like this would be the least of his worries?
ImageImage


ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Ryan from Ohio
Posts: 13308
Joined: Fri Mar 17, 2000 12:00 pm
Contact:

Post by Ryan from Ohio »

Well it probably is his settings.

I just wanted to see what his box specs looked like against something I would build. They are dead on.

Hence my second posts:
Ryan from Ohio wrote:.65 before sub displacement is what I come up with also.

It must be a setting on the amp or head unit.
-Ryan
www.caraudiocentral.net - Your #1 Car Audio Resource on the Net!
Tim
Master of My Domain
Posts: 1886
Joined: Sat Dec 29, 2007 8:46 pm
Location: 1060 W. Addison

Post by Tim »

May be of little consequence in this situation, but do you have a phase control on the eclipse?? I had one in my Alpine and it made a difference in the sound of the subs.

Crossover settings on the amp?? Crossover settings in the HU

Any other filters you could check??

I would try and I stress try turning the box to a different position. In my Bonneville if I faced it inside the pass thru between the back seat it sounded like butt. but when I turned it around it sounded pretty good.

I would also think about ported on this sub too. That seems to be the way most people go with those.

These are all just guesses, and options to try based on some of my expriences. The network claims no responsibility for any of the above named answers. LOL




Tim
"The opinions expressed in the preceding post are purely an opinion and not meant to be used as a reference. So if you screw something up because of something I said I will not and can not be held responsible". Thank you for understanding.
Tim Strong
http://upscaleaudiodesigns.webs.com/
Email: [email protected]
X-box Live Gamertag:quad drpr
cool mr grinch
Senior Member
Posts: 225
Joined: Thu Dec 25, 2008 9:39 pm
Location: Corpus Christi Texas
Contact:

Post by cool mr grinch »

here are pics of my setup, my headunit is set flat, i have done done any tuning with the headunit yet.

my issue with doing a ported box, is that i am not a box builder, unless i can find a prefab in the proper specs.
Attachments
IMG00168-20090923-1807.jpg
IMG00168-20090923-1807.jpg (127.1 KiB) Viewed 753 times
IMG00167-20090923-1805.jpg
IMG00167-20090923-1805.jpg (150.36 KiB) Viewed 755 times
IMG00166-20090923-1805.jpg
IMG00166-20090923-1805.jpg (161.75 KiB) Viewed 758 times
IMG00171-20090923-2234.jpg
IMG00171-20090923-2234.jpg (163.82 KiB) Viewed 756 times
James-aka-Cool Mr Grinch
Mack trucks electronics specialist and problem solver.
loudwagon15s
Senior Member
Posts: 888
Joined: Fri Oct 06, 2006 3:58 pm
Location: Melbourne, Florida
Contact:

Post by loudwagon15s »

turn the bass boost all the way down, adjust the gain with a dmm as described in amplifier section, turn the lpf to about 80-100 hz, cut all bass boost from h/u.
cool mr grinch
Senior Member
Posts: 225
Joined: Thu Dec 25, 2008 9:39 pm
Location: Corpus Christi Texas
Contact:

Post by cool mr grinch »

it is adjusted with DMM, i have a bass control knob under my headunit that is turned all the way down, ill change the lpf setting.
James-aka-Cool Mr Grinch
Mack trucks electronics specialist and problem solver.
User avatar
NorthQuad
Master of My Domain
Posts: 1183
Joined: Tue May 10, 2005 8:00 am
Location: Alberta, Canada

Post by NorthQuad »

Yeah, 80hz should do nicely.
dave.
Bwcad1
Master of My Domain
Posts: 9312
Joined: Wed Aug 03, 2005 11:00 am
Location: Ohio

Post by Bwcad1 »

loudwagon15s wrote:turn the bass boost all the way down, adjust the gain with a dmm as described in amplifier section, turn the lpf to about 80-100 hz, cut all bass boost from h/u.
Agreed.

How did you set the amp with a dmm? Did you turn the bass boost up or down after adjustment? If your not getting the output and punch you want Its because you have small sealed boxes.
ImageImage


ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
smoker
Master of My Domain
Posts: 4126
Joined: Tue Mar 15, 2005 9:00 am
Location: florence, ky
Contact:

Post by smoker »

build a box....or have one built. good amps. good subs...tiny sealed box bad
Post Reply