Attention all members!
Have a cool ride? Then show it off on our website! All vehicles welcome!

OpenAuto Pro (Android Auto project)

Product reviews by our members
Chris from Washington

OpenAuto Pro (Android Auto project)

Post by Chris from Washington »

This review is for the software called OpenAuto Pro by Bluewave studios.
For those of you who don't know what this software is, here is a description from Bluewave's website
The main functionality of the OpenAuto Pro software is to bring users access to modern head-unit features like: Bluetooth Hands Free Profile, music streaming, integrated media player, navigation via Android Auto, screen mirroring, rear camera support, and much more interesting options and possibilities. Moreover, OpenAuto Pro runs under regular Raspbian OS, therefore You can use all accessories and software dedicated for Raspberry Pi.
I wanted to do something different in my Camaro, something that I hadn't seen anyone else do before. I wanted a full 7 inch touchscreen. One of the features I wanted was Android Auto.

After doing some research I found this software, I took a chance and paid for it bought the PI and the touchscreen and other pieces of hardware to make it all work in the car.

I played around with it on my bench for several months before installing, getting shut down scripts to work, getting the bezel built to hold the screen etc. As time went on, Bluewave released several updates to the software that made it even better. Features such as an EQ, dashboard to read data from your car's ECU, updated the UI etc.
After having it now installed in the car for about a year, I'm very pleased with how it turned out.
There are some features I'm hoping Bluewave will figure out how to implement. The main one being true FM radio, I would love to put this in my daily driver, but just can't without the ability to just listen to the radio with no phone needed.

Here are some screenshots

Here is the final product in my 84 Camaro
Testing functionality of Open Auto Pro in my 1984 Camaro - YouTube
My custom startup boot screen
Custom startup screen
Chris from Washington

Re: OpenAuto Pro (Android Auto project)

For more images of the install in the Camaro, you can find them on my CarAudioCentral page.

I also have an OpenAuto Pro install on my 2004 Toyota 4Runner.
Chris from Washington

Re: OpenAuto Pro (Android Auto project)

OpenAuto update: 2/28/24.

After 2 years of no updates from Bluewave (the makers of OpenAuto Pro), they have finally released a .1 update with some small changes. But they have decided to no longer support an update script. So if you want to update your version of OAP, you'll need to reformat your SSD and lose any custom apps, or configurations made over the years. This is just unacceptable, so I will no longer recommend OAP to other users. There are other options out there for projects like this. One such free open source project that comes to mind is OpenDash. It may not have all the refinements that OAP once offered, but it makes up for it with a community of developers, and also it can be just installed as a program and does not require a full reformat each time you want to update.