Attention all members!
Have a cool ride? Then show it off on our website! All vehicles welcome!

Orion 2250SX amplifier, exposed

All questions related to amplifier installation and troubleshooting.
User avatar
GlassWolf
Master of My Domain
Posts: 6725
Joined: Thu Oct 07, 2004 4:00 am
Location: Columbia, SC
Contact:

Orion 2250SX amplifier, exposed

Post by GlassWolf »

In case anybody ever wondered what a big old school amplifier looks like on the inside, I took some pictures of one of mine after I'd opened it up and repaired it (bought it as "dead on arrival.")

I've labeled a few things just to give you an idea of what you're looking at.
The amp is rather large, at 24" long, and I could barely carry three of them down a flight of stairs without dropping them. They aren't very light.
Specs are as follows:

250 watts RMS x 2 @ 4 ohms
500 watts RMS x 2 @ 2 ohms
1,000 watts RMS x 1 @ 4 ohms bridged
accepts up to 4AWG power cable directly
internally fused using two 5AG-40A glass fuses
active cooling (built-in 80mm fan)
class-A/B design, all MilSpec components
original MSRP $1,250

http://www.wickedcases.com/misc/2250SX/2250-01.jpg
amplifier power cable terminals, and molex connector for remote trigger and speaker wires

http://www.wickedcases.com/misc/2250SX/2250-02.jpg
power supply capacitors, and FET bars for the output stage

http://www.wickedcases.com/misc/2250SX/2250-03.jpg
power cable terminals and power supplies

http://www.wickedcases.com/misc/2250SX/2250-04.jpg
one of the twin 5AG-40A fuse holders for internal protection

http://www.wickedcases.com/misc/2250SX/2250-05.jpg
image of the entire amplifier from underneath
Image
GlassWolf (aka KikiTheCat)
moderator-administrator
Dustin from Huntsville
Master of My Domain
Posts: 1656
Joined: Tue Oct 05, 2004 4:00 am
Location: Huntsville, AL

Post by Dustin from Huntsville »

What was wrong with it? Nothing really looks burnt on the PCB board as far as I can tell.
User avatar
GlassWolf
Master of My Domain
Posts: 6725
Joined: Thu Oct 07, 2004 4:00 am
Location: Columbia, SC
Contact:

Post by GlassWolf »

I'll get to that in a bit.
I'm waiting to hear back from the person I bought the amps from to buy the remainder of his defective units.
I'd rather not specify the damage then have him fix them up.
Image
GlassWolf (aka KikiTheCat)
moderator-administrator
Post Reply