Attention all members!
Have a cool ride? Then show it off on our website! All vehicles welcome!

head unit repair in progress, please chime in:

Car stereo head units, EQ, and DSP questions.
falkenbd
Senior Member
Posts: 932
Joined: Tue Nov 20, 2007 8:39 pm
Location: Milwaukee, WI

head unit repair in progress, please chime in:

Post by falkenbd »

Today I am in the process of getting a 12v power supply (might be a battery or an atx power supply) any tips on that would be helpful as well.

I am thinking if I put the face in the open position it will allow me to access the front enough to get a better idea of how to replace the cable.

Is it advisable to hook the unit up to 12v, hit the open button, and then disconnect it in order to leave the face in the open position?

Here are some pics of my progress. Anyone with experience in this, please chime in...

PICS:

the unit before touching.
Image

Image

top off:

Image

Image
falkenbd
Senior Member
Posts: 932
Joined: Tue Nov 20, 2007 8:39 pm
Location: Milwaukee, WI

Post by falkenbd »

heat sink off

Image

Image

Image

removing a screw on one side

Image
falkenbd
Senior Member
Posts: 932
Joined: Tue Nov 20, 2007 8:39 pm
Location: Milwaukee, WI

Post by falkenbd »

bottom view
Image

The trim peice I am attempting to remove (it seems that the deck needs to be open for this)

Image

Image
Ryan from Ohio
Posts: 13308
Joined: Fri Mar 17, 2000 12:00 pm
Contact:

Post by Ryan from Ohio »

Hard to say really... But if it makes it easier to do go for it. Just be careful with the little springs if there is any...
-Ryan
www.caraudiocentral.net - Your #1 Car Audio Resource on the Net!
falkenbd
Senior Member
Posts: 932
Joined: Tue Nov 20, 2007 8:39 pm
Location: Milwaukee, WI

Post by falkenbd »

so am I nuts?
Ryan from Ohio
Posts: 13308
Joined: Fri Mar 17, 2000 12:00 pm
Contact:

Post by Ryan from Ohio »

Not at all.

Cheaper to do it yourself than a shop. If you can hack it.

Looks like you will do just fine.
-Ryan
www.caraudiocentral.net - Your #1 Car Audio Resource on the Net!
falkenbd
Senior Member
Posts: 932
Joined: Tue Nov 20, 2007 8:39 pm
Location: Milwaukee, WI

Post by falkenbd »

opened this little cover on the bottom...

Image

Image

comparing new cable:
Image
falkenbd
Senior Member
Posts: 932
Joined: Tue Nov 20, 2007 8:39 pm
Location: Milwaukee, WI

Post by falkenbd »

if you look in the next pictures, the motor and gears that run the deck face are attached to a little frame. I took out the screws for that frame and was hoping it'd help me get the face off.

No such luck, looks like I need to get a 12v battery to do this for sure. more updates tomorrow

Image

Image
falkenbd
Senior Member
Posts: 932
Joined: Tue Nov 20, 2007 8:39 pm
Location: Milwaukee, WI

Post by falkenbd »

got the power supply to work. here is a few pics of the process:

soldered a resistoer between a 5v and ground:

Image

Image

Image

soldered the sense, and a ground to make it on all the time... imporant - don't leave it plugged in:

Image

added alligator plugs to a 12v and ground:

Image
falkenbd
Senior Member
Posts: 932
Joined: Tue Nov 20, 2007 8:39 pm
Location: Milwaukee, WI

Post by falkenbd »

wow, i didn't have to open any of the stuff that I opened...

Image

looks like I'll be calling the place I ordered my cable from tomorrow...
Post Reply