Attention all members!
Have a cool ride? Then show it off on our website! All vehicles welcome!

Need help with speaker choice

All speaker/sub woofer related questions.
Robert Wollenberg
Posts: 1386
Joined: Mon Sep 19, 2005 4:45 am
Location: Abilene, Texas

Need help with speaker choice

Post by Robert Wollenberg »

I'm in the process of revamping my entire system. I've got everything pretty well figured out with the exception of my front speakers. I'm currently running Audiobahn ABC6002N because my doors are so shallow. I have a Jeep Cherokee and only have about 2" of mounting depth. The ABCs are rated to handle the power I'm pushing to the front and fit the space I have available. I'd really like to find a better set of speakers for my doors that can handle 100 WRMS or so. I've been a little out of touch with the audio community the past couple years and was hoping someone might have some suggestions. My current plan calls for a new head unit (Eclipse CD8455), New front speakers (undecided), mediocre rear speakers, (I'm mainly concerned with front stage), Amps undecided also (I'm looking for about 100 WRMS or so to the front, that's what I've been running and about 1200 WRMS or so to my subs @1ohm). Everything is up for debate. Any and all suggestions will be greatly appreciated. I have a firm grasp on electronics and audio. Feel free to talk as much tech as you like.
sinister audio
Master of My Domain
Posts: 2562
Joined: Sat Mar 19, 2005 9:00 am
Location: Watertown, South Dakota
Contact:

Post by sinister audio »

whats so budget on this setup? what do you want it to sound like? what subs are you running? is there room for kick panels or custom door pods?
Robert Wollenberg
Posts: 1386
Joined: Mon Sep 19, 2005 4:45 am
Location: Abilene, Texas

set up and budget

Post by Robert Wollenberg »

I'm running two Kicker 10" L7 solobaric subs which I'll be reusing in the new system. Those, my cap and wiring will probably be the only stuff being reused. I have room for a kick panel but being a Jeep and having had kick panels in a previous vehicle, I'd rather stay away form them if I can. Everybody views them as a great place to rest their foot. :( If I have to go that route I will. I was hoping to keep everything inconspicuous using the factory locations, but that has it's own challenges. I'd like to rebuild my door panels and put a nice speaker setup there, but it's been a long time since I've done any fiberglassing and don't want to mess up my doors. There used to be a company or maybe several who made replacement door panels with great speaker setups. I haven't been able to track them down and assumed they don't do it anymore. I guess it's looking like modifying the door panels is going to be what I end up doing. I want to get the most SQ as I can but need to keep it loud also to combat the 35" off-road tires that hum like mad driving down the road. Not to mention the Borla Exhaust I'll be putting on in the future. So, SQ may have to take a backseat to volume. I'd rather not spend 1k on focals if I can help it. If I could find something for a few hundred that would do the trick I'd be happy with that. As far as the front speakers go. Amps, I'm guessing I'll be spending quite a bit more. I used to swear by PG but it's been a long time. I see there are many new companies on the market these days.
sinister audio
Master of My Domain
Posts: 2562
Joined: Sat Mar 19, 2005 9:00 am
Location: Watertown, South Dakota
Contact:

Post by sinister audio »

for comps i like my Bravox kevlar comps but there are also alot of other great brands out there like Elevation Audio and DLS. amps i like DLS and Elevation audio. Arc are also great choices for comps and amps. im pretty sure youll have to modify your door panel a little for them. elevation audio has an awsome mono block that would push those subs really really good. there are quite a bit of choices.
Robert Wollenberg
Posts: 1386
Joined: Mon Sep 19, 2005 4:45 am
Location: Abilene, Texas

Out of touch

Post by Robert Wollenberg »

Man, I know I'm out of touch when I've never even heard of the brands you're naming off. When I was knee deep in car audio the big names were Phoenix Gold, Precission Power, HiFonics, Lanzar, Kicker, etc. I really appreciate the info. I'm going to check those out. Any suggestions on rebuilding my door panels? Does that still get done the old fashion way or is there some new high tech way of doing that now? lol.
sinister audio
Master of My Domain
Posts: 2562
Joined: Sat Mar 19, 2005 9:00 am
Location: Watertown, South Dakota
Contact:

Post by sinister audio »

depening on what they look like. im not to familiar with the door panels you have. if you want to know everything about elevation audio we have the owner and one of the workers from elevation audio on this forum and we also have 4 dealers so we can answer just about anything you need to know about them.
Robert Wollenberg
Posts: 1386
Joined: Mon Sep 19, 2005 4:45 am
Location: Abilene, Texas

Specs

Post by Robert Wollenberg »

I was checking out the web site. There isn't much listed for specs on the speakers. What's their power handling, frequency response and mounting depth. The amps look good too. If I end up rebuilding my doors, I may put two sets of speakers in each door. I'm big on front stage. I don't like to hear speakers behind me at all so I usually run something cheap off deck power to the rear and power the hell out of some good speakers up front. Even then I still end up fading to the front a little. Anyway, can you shoot me some specs on the speakers and more info about the DX amps too if you have it handy. How does the $1/watt rule hold up these days? I'm guessing it's more like $.50/watt now.
Ryan from Ohio
Posts: 13308
Joined: Fri Mar 17, 2000 12:00 pm
Contact:

Post by Ryan from Ohio »

PG is still good- but over priced. PPI sold out, Lanzar is low end... Audiobahn is a laughing stock, Kicker is good but I think is slipping ever so gradually... RF has sorta sold out...
-Ryan
www.caraudiocentral.net - Your #1 Car Audio Resource on the Net!
Robert Wollenberg
Posts: 1386
Joined: Mon Sep 19, 2005 4:45 am
Location: Abilene, Texas

Post by Robert Wollenberg »

What about companies like Zapco, Xtant, USD, Soundstream, Rockford, MTX, MB Quart, MMATS, Infinity, Diamond Audio ... These guys were all good at one time or another. And there were plenty more. What's your take on these guys now-a-days?
High Society
Master of My Domain
Posts: 2473
Joined: Sun Jan 23, 2005 11:59 am
Location: Philippines
Contact:

Post by High Society »

Check the FAQ's the good, bad, ugly list. It will tell you all you need to know.
♠ Mateo ♠

80 pounds of Titanium
Proud Member of Team Wolfpack Audio
Post Reply